Monday 29 July 2013

Not what I thought - 88 days post-op


I saw Simon Ellis at Lake Physio today to get my ‘final’ rehab program. I was really hoping for a plan that Amir Takla assured me would be coming my way. Something I could get stuck into for the next 6 months or something like that. I didn't get that.


My 'plan' for the next 3 weeks.


After asking me a series of questions regarding my surgery and history Simon got me to show him what I'd been instructed to do by Amir. I showed him a couple of the 'QF' exercises I'd been doing and explained I'd been riding the stationary bike and doing a little pool work. We chatted for a while while he rubbed away at my left quad/groin.

He did seem surprised when I explained that Amir had asked me to back off a bit. I was quite self conscious of the fact I've just floated along for the past 4-5 weeks in regard to rehab.

I was hoping for a definitive long term strategy that I could adhere to. It didn't come. He wants to see me again in 3 weeks and get some massage in the meantime. I found myself quite frustrated that Amir had led me down the garden path regarding what I could expect. To be honest, I just want someone to cut through the crap and tell me what I need to do long term.

Anyway, I'll get stuck into the stuff he has given me. Hell of a nice bloke, Simon, and it's not his fault but I'll go back to Clarkey and try to get some information/instructions directly from Amir. Too far to travel from Buninyong over to Wendouree.


If you are reading this blog and have any thoughts or comments, good or bad, I would really appreciate it if you could add your comments after any of my posts. I feel like I am on my own with this and would love to hear from people in the same boat.

2 comments:

  1. Hi - just came across your blog. My husband had surgery with JO 7 weeks ago and has been seeing amir. He too feels like he is worse afterwards but is trying to remain strong and do the swimming and cross trainer work instructed by Amir. Neither of us have been very happy with the guidance tho - did you find your physio, exercise, stretching work to be really light on? I will make sure he reads your blog too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day. It's been a while now but my rehab dropped off for a while and I just went through the motions. Advice regarding rehab post surgery was really poor. Local physios were very limited regarding FAI surgery. I have found that 15 months after surgery I am pretty much where I was prior. I know I am probably structurally sound but all my old aches and pains in my outer hip and pelvis still exist and weren't addressed by surgery or subsequent rehab. I have learnt to live with them and can play golf but that is about it. Sleeping, jogging, mountain biking and sitting for extended periods still cause pain. Good luck!

      Delete